Wednesday, December 27, 2006

"May I say that you smell really special?"

"It must be my new shampoo."
"That's no shampoo. It's more...like a brand new automobile."

This dialogue exchange is from the 1950 classic Sunset Blvd. starring William Holden and Gloria Swanson. The first time I heard it I burst out laughing. If I told someone that they smell "really special", chances are it wouldn't be a romantic moment. (In fact, maybe that's what I'll say to Matthew McConaughey if I ever meet him without his deodorant!) Furthermore, if some guy told me that I had that "new car smell", I would go home and shower, throw out the perfume I was wearing, and wash all my clothes. I know we all love "that new car smell", but as a woman I don't strive to emulate that scent. In fact, here's a whole list of things that may smell fantastic, but none of them are anything that we women want our perfume to be compared to:
  • Pizza hot from the oven
  • A pint of Guinness with a still-frothy head
  • Paris (I could "go there" with the French, but I'll refrain)
  • A steak right off the grill
  • Cuban Cigars
  • Freshly mowed grass
  • A lit match
  • Homemade spaghetti sauce
  • White Out
  • Leather
  • Puppy breath
  • Roasted peanuts
Just to name a few...

No comments: