Sunday, December 24, 2006

Meatloaf, Smeatloaf, Double Beetloaf

Oh, yes, it really is the most wonderful time of the year--24 hours of A Christmas Story begins tonight at 8:00 PM on TBS or TNT or one of Ted Turner's "T" channels. If you happen to wonder what I'll be doing from 8:00 PM Christmas Eve through 8:00 PM Christmas Day, chances are I will be sitting in a recliner next to my Dad laughing about Bumpass hounds, Red Rider BB guns, and frozen tongues. Oh, and this is just gravy, but I'll be in Cleveland where the movie was actually filmed. It's like visiting hallowed ground!

"Sons of bitches! Bumpasses!" is my favorite line. I own real Bumpass hounds. Reagan and Lulu go out in the backyard and torture my neighbors (who I hate, so it gives me great joy). I even have a Bumpass-looking fence that's all leaning and missing slats of wood. I'll post a picture sometime with my Bumpass hounds posing nearby.

Anyway, I must sign off and begin my travels to the Christmas Story holyland. Merry Christmas, and don't shoot your eye out.

Later that day...

I've arrived at the holyland. Only 17 minutes left in the countdown. I feel like Ralphie waiting for his Little Orphan Annie secret decoder badge.

In the comment section, my Papa John's-loving twin and/or new best friend has questioned my Christmas Story knowledge. I'll address it here. It is true that parts of the movie (namely the school scenes) were filmed in Toronto. But the house is here in Cleveland (in fact it's now a museum), and the opening and shopping scenes are in Downtown Cleveland. The Terminal Tower is shown at the very beginning. Also, the wooden escaltor that is shown at the department store and the row of chandeliers seen while Ralphie's in line for Santa--that's Dillard's in downtown Cleveland. It was Higbee's at the time of filming. I've been there a million times.

OK, time to start watching. Be sure to drink your Ovaltine!

1 comment:

Dan said...

A lot of it was actually filmed in Toronto. Not sure if the whole thing was. Do you mean that the story is based in Cleveland? Either way, I love this movie. Of coarse I do, since you do!! Merry Christmas