Thursday, November 1, 2007

Are seeing eye dogs trained to pick up their own poop?

I decided to start NaBloPoMo with everyone's favorite topic...poop. Recently I was in a restaurant enjoying a meal with friends. While they were discussing some heady topics, like the Middle East peace process, I was doing what I do best-- daydream. At one point during the meal, two blind people walked into the restaurant with a pair of seeing eye dogs. I awoke from my daydream to notice the special canines, and I was mesmerized. I love animals.

My friends continued to save the world with discussions of possible cures for cancer and ways to end our nation's dependence on oil, but I kept looking at the dogs. After a moment, while one friend was offering a formula for an AIDS vaccine, a thought occured to me...who picks up the poo of seeing eye dogs? Seriously, who? These dogs, special as they are, do not have opposable thumbs. I'm pretty sure that means they can't pick up after themselves. I don't think the blind owner can do it either (without a lot of wetnaps). So who does it? Perhaps there is an exemption in the law mandating the pickup of dog poop if it comes from a seeing eye dog? In my mind, that's the answer.

So next time you frolic at your favorite local park and step in dog doo-- before you get annoyed-- stop and say, "I bet this came from a seeing eye dog."

8 comments:

Amanda Anderson, ND said...

I'll have to ask my friend. She has a seeing eye dog. Come to think of it, I haven't seen her pick up dog poop ever.

Anonymous said...

p.s. Amanda Anderson, ND is my code name. Looking forward to month in the life of you.

Reigning Frog said...

pretty/ms anderson: can you please please please ask your friend? This inquiring mind wants to know!

t2ed said...

If they both had dogs, how do they know who's the ugly one in the relationship?

I have always wanted to pretend to be blind and take my dog into somewhere and let him see how much trouble he causes while I pretend to be oblivious to the chaos.

And I thought they had helper monkeys to pick up the poop.

Reigning Frog said...

t2ed: Neither person was very attractive, so I think it was a moot point.

I've thought about making it look like Lulu is a seeing-eye dog for a really big guy. That would be a site...

ex-nuke bubblehead said...

...You know, that would make a great comedy sketch on TV with say, Mr. Bean!

Picture this: A blind man walks by with his seeing eye dog and Mr. Bean (Lionel Atwell) sees him "do his thing" right near his feet. Mr. Bean makes a funny sort of face few a few more minutes of comedy and tell the man to pick-up the waste in a way only Mr. Bean can do so. So the blind man, shamed by his dogs mis-deed crawls down on all fours searching for the target. Now they don't have to show what really happens as they concentrate on Mr. Bean's expressions and the miserable grunts of the blind man. of course, the blind man somehow gets the poop on Mr. Bean's clothing. or wipes his hands on his jacket with Mr. Bean not saying anything, just making faces...

Reigning Frog said...

ex-nuke: LOL. Even further evidence of your IQ score. I hear there are a lot of writer's jobs open right now...

Anonymous said...

Hi,
My name is Martha, and I am a Seeing Eye dog user in college. All of us are taught to pick up our dog's poop; I know my campus mates or I wouldn't appreciate stepping in it or smelling it for that matter. We can tell when the dog is about to go to the bathroom because he/she spins in a circle after sniffing for a few seconds or a minute. Our command to signal it is time to go to the bathroom is "park time." Anyway, there is an arch in the dog's back when he/she poops. We can tell them to rest, or if the dog is one who likes to travel in circles while going, like mine does, then the handler just puts his/her hand on the dog's back to hold it still. After the dog is finished, we put a baggie, like a grocery or sandwich kind, on our hand like a glove, and since we had a hold of the dog, we have a good idea of where it is. After picking it up in the bag, we just turn the bag inside out, tie it, and throw it away; it's usually simple unless there is snow or the dog is not feeling well. Also, I think you were joking, but just so you know, taking your *pet* dog in to public and pretending it is a guide dog or another service animal is not a good idea. We always have control of our dogs, and they are *never* away from us; we are always sitting on, standing on, or have the leash clipped to our belts, and we try to tuck the dog out of the way, under a chair, near a wall, ETC. Even though people love dogs, or sometimes are scared of or don't like them, we always try our best to keep them calm, still, and as inconspicuous as possible, so there are no future problems for the next person who goes to that business. Many of us have had access issues with being told we weren't allowed somewhere or refused service because of our dogs. One misbehaving dog, and service animals can do this to, and it will be very difficult for the next person, even though it is national law that we are allowed to be accompanied by our service animals. Sorry for the long comment, and I hope you don't think I am being rude. If you have any questions about Seeing Eye dogs, I am happy to answer. I absolutely love animals and enjoy talking about them. I am latinanewschic@hotmail.com.

HTH