Sunday, December 3, 2006

My biggest fear

This picture so completely freaks me out. I can't even explain how much this terrifies me. I know it's photoshopped, but this is seriously my worst fear. I love to swim, particularly in pools. But this strange thing happens when I'm swimming alone where I hear the chilling theme song from Jaws in my mind and irrationally convince myself that a shark who can withstand chlorine is eyeing me for dinner. I wonder what Freud would have to say about that?

Well, I have to throw some pop culture into this to divert my attention, so here's some random Jaws facts for you.
  • The mechanical shark used in Jaws was named "Bruce" by the cast and crew.
  • Jaws is considered the first "Summer Blockbuster" and started the trend now so ingrained in our culture.
  • Jaws was nominated for 4 Academy Awards and won three (Best Sound, Best Original Score and Best Film Editing)
  • Charleton Heston was rejected for the role of "Chief Brody" (played by Roy Schieder). It was the cause of bad blood between Heston and Steven Spielberg, each of whom vowed never to work with the other.
  • The Brody's cocker spaniel (barely seen in the movie, and not the black lab "Pippet" who was presumed to be eaten by the shark) was actually Steven Spielberg's dog in real life.
My blog is nothing if not educational.

No comments: